Carto4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mercedes 190E 2.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierokwong View Post
Carto4,

It's a really smart gearbox.

Once you've getting used to the 8 speed, you can push it hard for a 2nd gear for hard cornering or take a less aggressive approach with the 3rd. But all that power is right on your finger tip.

Once you are back on cruising, you have the 7th & 8th gear for overdrive. Really not drink much petrol in the current economy condition.

You need to ask yourself the question tho, are you staying at redline all the time with manual shift? Coz you can't stay there for too long with the 8-speed auto.

But to be honest, why are you doing that with this gear box?

The same idea, when I was driving the new M5, I like the new auto gearbox there. Coz it shift MUCH faster and better than any human being (including all racing driver) now.

Cheers,
Piero
I agree with your opinion even if I just tried this autobox for a few miles. But I think I'm too young for getint an autobox, and I think I may learn more with the manual one for the moment.

A part from this, the xDrive is a MUST for me, due to the climate from where I live, and as far as I'm concerned, 120xd won't have the autobox as an option, just manual gearbox.

Thanks Piero
Appreciate 0