Thread: Head Gasket?
View Single Post
      03-03-2024, 08:11 AM   #4
Acorn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 118i

UPDATE: Thank you for the replies so far and apologies for the delay in responding.
@No one...In order to have any hope of warranty claims the car had to be assessed, inspected and diagnostics done by a BMW garage...inconvenient but understandable. So there was a 2 week wait before the BMW garage could fit it in and last week I paid over 300€ to have it towed to the nearest BMW garage (70km away). My son couldn't be there at the time as he was in college but he got a phone call the following day from the garage. As soon as they plugged it into their computer they could see that it had been 'tuned' so they refused to do anything further....not even when my son offered to pay for diagnostics. They simply told him to come and collect the car which cost another 300€ to get towed back home. My son had apparently had the car 'professionally tuned' a week after he bought it but conveniently forgot to mention it so I guess any warranty is invalidated.

@SlimDad078: that's interesting...his is an F20 B38 and he has thought about it possibly being a turbo problem instead of the cylinder head. Is there any definitive test that can pinpoint whether it's a turbo or cylinder head problem, bearing in mind that BMW won't touch it at all now? Since he's had the car back he's run some computer diagnostics but no error messages are showing up at all. The turbo appears to be in 'limp' mode and I don't know if it would do that if the problem was to do with the cylinder head?

Thank you both in advance
Appreciate 0