01-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #68
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
Thats just Audi being behind the curve. Their base engine still is no match for BMW's base engine (207hp 2.0 turbo versus 240hp 2.0 turbo) but then again the VW Group has always traditionally lagged in engine development.

Heck, they are still trying to sell the terrible 2.0 liter NA motor in the new Jettas... yep, the EXACT same 115hp lump that was in their 1996 offerings. That's a 15 year old engine!!! Its why you never see VW or Audi on Ward's 10 best engines. They are lazy when it comes to engine development.
I agree on some points. Especially with BMW's new turbo 4s etc. Audi is starting to slip but they have their strong points too. The 350bhp 5 cylinder in the RS3 is a gem. Let's not forget before the M3 and C63 came around Audi introduced the high-rev V8 to that market with the RS4. I'm also very interested to see how this new 4.0 V8 in the new S6/8 performs.

I still stick to my point that Audi has a better structure with base models/S/RS. It's a clearer structure. BMW is now planning to use the M badge throughout their entire range now from stock model (M-sport) through to true M cars. We guys know our stuff but what is the average person going to know about a M750d?

Edit: It seems I forgot about the C55 AMG lol.