Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btdew View Post
Nice piece of information

I'm still undecided between a 118i or 118d. So i checked LOTS of reviews and youtube videos of those engines and also the 320i, because there isn't ALOT of difference in that one (20NM more torque isn't substantial considering the weight difference).

How do you find the 118i in daily driving? Is it easy to overtake? I'm used to driving a diesel, but now with the turbo petrol engines, it seems the need to go high in revs just to go forward is a thing of the past seeing you get the full torque at just 1500RPM
The 118i (mine is a manual) comes amazingly close to driving like a diesel. I drove my old man's Landy 90 Puma (diesel) on a long trip a few weeks ago and specifically joked about how I shift at exactly the same rev range in my F20. Yes there's a little bit of turbo lag until you get up to 1500rpm, but once you're there it's impressively smooth and linear. I find that with the 6spd, I tend to shift up at exactly 2000rpm, which in most gears drops the revs down to exactly 1500rpm in the next gear, at the torque sweet spot.

Overtaking ability in all gears except 6th is impressive and confidence inspiring.

If I had to drive in traffic daily however, I'd take the auto. The manual's clutch action is not quite light or smooth enough to make it pleasant for daily commuting in stop/start traffic. A VW Polo, Golf or even my previous car - Renault Megane - beats it hands down in ease of driving.
Appreciate 0