05-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #19
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Relax bruh. I read a while back that they could raise the typical Big Mac a whopping $.52 to offset this raise if they needed to maintain current profit margin. If I ate that type of stuff, I would gladly pay it to help those who actually need it.
You're missing my point. If McD raised prices $1 across the board I wouldn't even notice. I don't eat there that often and couldn't tell you now what a Big Mac costs.

The point is, and this doesn't just concern McD's, if you raise the basic bottom end wage to $31,200 annually ($15/hr), everything will rise in cost. It's simple supply and demand. In a very short time $31,200 per year will be the poverty level. Nothing will have been accomplished.

If these workers think their pay going up to $15/hr will happen in a vacuum, they are mistaken. Their real buying power won't change much in the long run.

Like someone above mentioned, these jobs are currently paying the market value wage. Labor is also a supply and demand concern. When you have a job that anyone can do with minimal training, then you have a huge pool of people (supply) from which to hire. As job skill requirements rise, your labor pool begins to shrink. The drop in supply leads to a hike in demand and hence higher wages. Forcing higher wages when the market doesn't demand it only leads to inflation.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if the reality was that everyone made enough in any job to live comfortably and enjoy the good things in life. But that just isn't the way things work in a free market.

I'd rather see controls on the cost of an education and more government investment in education. Teach and train people so they can develop higher skills and move up into higher paying jobs. There are WAY too many HS dropouts and too few people going into the trades.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0