10-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #69
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Why is the electric steering inferior on paper when it comes to feel?

The car manufacturers have had several decades working on the hydraulic assist, while the electric setup is a bit new to them. It will just take a while before they dial it in perfectly. I see no reason why it should not be at least as good as the hydraulic solution.

Among FWD cars, the Mini gets quite a lot of positive feedback about the steering. It is electric.

Among new sports cars, the Subrau BRZ / Toyota GT86 is praised for the telepathic steering. It is also electric.

PS: I forgot one imporant feature the F20 has, that the E82 is missing. When the DSC is switched off, the E82 has no limited slip differential. The F20 uses the brakes to simulate one.
First, the E82 never had a "limited slip differential" anyway, just e-diff on certain models which applies to brakes and that is not the same thing as a real lsd. If you mean the 1M, it always has it on tap (the variable M diff, same as a E9X M3) regardless of DSC on/off or MDM modes.

About the steering feel, those cars you mention are slightly different category (I would call them sporty cars rather than sports cars) than what I mentioned before (Porsche Boxster and 911) and sorry but I am yet to hear any respected independent reviewer claiming that the new electric steering units are as good or better than old hydraulic units in hard core sports cars. Getting close but...I do agree in time engineers should be able to perfect them though, not sure if that happened yet.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0