View Single Post
      08-08-2012, 05:16 AM   #43
cawimmer430
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 118i E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeed View Post
I respect your points of view, but I agree in only one of them: RWD and a longitudinal mounted engine takes up more passenger space than a queer engine and FWD.
Indeed. But the 118i motor is relatively small and compact, so the intrusion into the cabin isn't that drastic. For what it is, the 1er E87 is surprisingly roomy upfront.

What does take away a lot of cabin space is the high and wide transmission tunnel in the E87 to accommodate the driveshaft. This really takes away precious leg space.

My father has a 2010 Mercedes E350 CGI and the transmission tunnel at the rear is narrower and lower. Why is the transmission tunnel in a 1er higher and wider? That question has bugged me ever since...

Quote:
When it comes to winter driving it's mostly about driving technic and a set of good winter tyres. Except for my Mini, all my cars have been RWD and I get stuck on snow and ice very seldom. It's virtually a non existing problem. I am careful to select quality spikeless winter tyres made for nordic climate.
Also a BMW is well designed for winter driving, since the weight distribution is close to 50/50.
True. However, I am not really a performance enthusiast. I don't drive passionately most of the time. Once in a while I drive in a sporty fashion when I don't have my gear loaded up in my car and the 1er copes beautifully. But most of the time, my car remains a basic daily driver which I use to get from A to B to visit clients and do my job.

For my needs, I actually require a car that is simply capable in the winter regardless whether or not I have good winter tires or a good driving technique. In my area of Germany the winters are harsh and there are many roads in smaller towns which are not cleared of snow and ice. In such cases the best winter tires and driving techniques are not going to help much for a RWD car.

So, AWD or FWD for me based on pure necessity and the fact that I really don't need RWD or will miss it in my car. Again, don't get me wrong. I love my 118i, but it's a pain to drive in the winter (or even when it rains).

Quote:
I guess it all comes down to personal preferences, and it's nothing wrong about that
It does come down to personal preference. I would never have opted for a 1-Series in the first place but I inherited the car from my sister - who bought the car for the badge. She was also considering an Alfa Romeo 147, Opel Corsa, MINI Cooper and Fiat Punto, which are all FWD.

I like the 1er. It's fun to drive and even in 118i guise has a lot of agility. It's clearly the class-leader in driving dynamics thanks to its RWD layout. However, driving dynamics aside, it remains uncompetitive in its class in terms of interior space, rear occupant leg space, packaging efficiency and these are qualities that matter to people in this class. Hence, the 3rd generation 1er will switch to FWD in order to become more competitive.

Also, remember that survey where 80% of 1-Series owners thought their car was FWD? It's a clear sign that a FWD 1-Series will sell because the majority buyers don't care.

There will still be RWD BMWs to choose from. BMW is a business and businesses have to adapt to market demands. A decade ago nobody would have expected BMW to offer a lineup that's predominantly switching to forced-induction motors. I remember those days. The hardcore BMW fans were dissing forced-induction, then went out and bought a 335i because it was so fast.