07-19-2014, 05:01 AM   #11
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
Then again, some say all that is needed with modern coated leathers such as found in BMWs is to vaccuum regularly and clean with a dilute solution of wool wash such as Softly.
I agree that a vacuum is the first step.
Keeping the seats free from dust and grit is best.
I am not sure about using a diluted Wool wash as it contains wetting agents(spirits) and essential oils which work on woolen clothes, however, nearly all new cars have coated leather(PU) which wears well but can be damaged with prolonged wetting (this effects the porous PU).
If wetting products are used on a regular basis they can damage the PU top coat of the leather.
It initially feels good on the outside, but it is being slowly damaged.
Some Car “leather care” products also damage over time, however most are now formulated (water based) or use isopropyl alcohol so they pass into the leather without damaging the coating. There are some new products on the market like 'Bowden's own' that claim to be designed for modern leather seats. I have used it and it appears to work well. I think 'Leather wipes' are good for a general clean and protect. I would not use products that say they work on both leather and vinyl. If you intend to keep your car for a very long time, buy the best products you can afford.
Appreciate 0