Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel20 View Post
Dude attention assist just tells you to have a cup of coffee every 2 hours and that collision assist stuff comes as part of the lane keeping option on the Bm. But to give it its due it has a good standard spec and some nice reasonably priced options. Unlike the endless list that is the BMW price list.

My 125i wound up with about R100k worth of options, it remains to be seen how much they count for when I sell it. The A250 already has the sports pack and the xenon lights and the auto box etc etc.

But instead of having a nice 8 speed auto it has some terrible in house developed DCT type box. The A3 1.8T has DSG which is a better system... But just can't beat the 8 speed box.

And Quattro is a little excessive on a 132kw car. And everybody raves about the interior and "minimalist" design. For me I just found it had miles of blank dashboard... And a stupid pop up info screen (when would you ever drive the car with your info screen turned off and retracted?)

So the 1.8T Quattro disappoints although its a very solid and good but unremarkable package. I imagine the 1.4T is the same.

At even 206kw Quattro starts to make sense. And the interior has been pimped out a little and those LED headlights are only R11k extra as the S3 already has xenons as standard. On the outside it looks the business as well.. Even if 4 tail pipes might seem a little excessive on a 2.0l 4 cylinder motor! And... I could live with that gearbox given how appealing the rest of the package is.

And the GPS uses google earth!! Its epic. Vs bmws nav which I added to my car but doesn't seem to be aware of the existence of most placed such as sunninghill (not sure if you from jhb but that's a really big suburb). So I'm a little sour about the money wasted on that option.

But it brings me back to the same problem I had with the M135i. When kitted out and all is said and done, I just can't spend over R500k on a hatchback. It's nicely kitted out 328i money.
Lol I know, I know about it's about the drowsiness stuff. I didn't know BMW had the collision prevention option on the F20. That is really interesting.. I also agree with the price of the options on the A-class compared to all BMWs. It's dirt cheap. For example, leather on a B-class is like R1000. Don't ask why I know that..

Gosh, I can't imagine spending 100K on options alone! Sheesh, that's steep. I would've went with a M135i, but the fun is in the options anyway. I also didn't know that the A250 had such generous spec as standard. It now seems even more appealing.

I absolutely love the minimalist approach of the A3 interior and I'm one of those raving people lol. It is definitely the best iteration of Audi interiors. I personally can't stand their previous generation interiors on the current A4, A5 etc. It looks very dated and the auto shifter gets in the way of the climate control buttons.. The pop-up screen is a novelty, sure, but it is quite cool that it folds away when the car switches off and pops up when it's on. I don't think you can retract it while driving, so it just adds some more sophistication to an already sophisticated interior.

The A3 also has incredible spec for its price and again, full LEDs on a hatchback is impressive and standard xenons too. Those diamond-quilted sport seats are also gorgeous. It's a pity BMW does not offer said options. Xenons are not even standard on the M135i!!
I never really understood Audi's performance designation on its cars - Quad exhausts for 'S models and dual exhausts for 'RS'. It should surely be the other way around?! 4 tips on an A3 does certainly seem out of place!

I'm not familiar with any sort of navigation systems, as I've never spec'd it out on my cars. Maybe next time, just for the touch control iDrive lol.

Don't you think that the M135i is worthy of its price tag? It's literally a performance bargain, but I understand you when you don't want to spend upwards of 500K on a 1 series. It does sound odd... I don't think that the A45 AMG should command 600K for a standard car though too..I can understand the CLA45 being 674K though..Btw, if you think 500K on a hatch is bad, try 800K for the A45 AMG edition 1 ..I saw a few on autotrader..

Just as a side note, MB are currently offering the A200 black devil' edition at a cost of 16K extra. I have to say that it is uh..unique. Go check it out at MB SA's website.
Appreciate 0