05-01-2024, 09:41 AM   #82
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Of course it matters. It makes a huge difference. There is a limit of what manufacturers can do with regulations (and still make money). That's why there is an even playing field when it comes to the sports sedan today. They all make similar power, have similar weight, and have comparable driving dynamics. They're not building 3000 lb. sport sedans because they can't (regulations) - not because they don't want to.

You're putting too much faith into what C&D says. They're humans with flaws just like you and I. Besides, the i4 was on 10 Best in 2023 and the 3er doesn't end with the F-chasis. Your 5er & 7er series point seems highly anecdotal. Anyone who needs more room would absolutely take the larger car.

I believe it. Wife had an E90 335i and the speed it produced, compared to my E46 M3 I still had at the time, was eye opening. The N54 was an UNIT. But is it fair to make a general statement like the one below?

I don't think I'm putting too much faith into them, they were the gold standard of automotive journalism until recently, IMO. And the i4 has one competitor, and it's the Model 3. It's one of literally 2 electric sport sedans below 50k; it's almost a winner by default.

I'm not even close to asking for a 3,000 pound sedan. My e90 335i was tested at over 3500 pounds, and the f80 m3 was lighter than the e90 m3. The G20 I believe is in the high 3600's. "Regulations" don't require bad steering feel and unpredictable rotation - unless the Ct4/ct5/giulia/genesis g70 are somehow ignoring these.

Here's a link I highly reccomend reading, or here or here.

My 5&7 series points are not anecdotal. My first statement was that "no car comes close in involvement" and you're combatting that with "anyone who needs more room would take the larger care". You could take that sidestep to literally any argument: "how's a cayman gt4 more fun than a suburban? I want a bigger car". Not a good one.
Appreciate 0