08-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #33
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-NC View Post
@ all the haters:
Have you seen the car yet? No? THen shut up. Don't you think that BMW will have put quite some effort in the design to make it look like it does? Maybe it looks like that on purpose?
Oh I hated the press pictures. I called it a squeezed fish. But then I remembered that I ALWAYS dislike the first pictures of any car (e90, e, X3, Z4 just to name a few). So I decided to wait until I see the car.
Last week I got a good look at a red one in Frankfurt. I have to say, this car is BEAUTIFUL! It looks like a 5, just smaller. The rear taillights remind me of a VW model, the Polo, however that should go away as well. BMW did a great job on this!
So please think twice before posting.

Thank you!
You have a strange rationale. Do you think that every ugly car ever existed came about because the designers didn't try, or the company didn't care? In fact, if the company really didn't care, we would get something quite boring and inoffensive. It's when it tries, and misses, that we get a massive failure such as this one.

Yes, I have not seen the car in person, and no, I won't shut up because of it, nor would I think twice before posting. What are you, new to internet?

Seriously, I get the argument that sometimes cars look quite different in flesh. That does happen. But I find it hard to believe that the objectively oversized headlamps will just shrink away when seen in person. Things like the surface curvature and paint colors, sure. I don't think that's the case here.

Look, it's well known that whenever a car company designs a car, it has to consider not only the external competition, but also the internal competition. That's why Toyota will never design a Camry that looks nicer than a Lexus. (Well, not intentionally anyway.) That's also why Kia doesn't care about making the new Optima look like an Audi, because they don't have anything up at that price level. It's clear to me that BMW wanted to make sure the 1er isn't as attractive as the 3er, but I think they WAY overdid themselves.
Appreciate 0