Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Obviously, the first ones are already a couple of decades old & most of these E39s are old, beat-up, or a combination of both.
How they hold up as far as age is certainly a factor of many variables.
But when I say fit and finish, I mean the quality and layout of the cabin and cockpit.
The way the lines of the surfaces flow and wrap around the driver and passengers in a cohesive design and how everything is laid out in a logical, yet elegant manner. Remember, this interior was designed & engineered in the '90s!
Certainly well put together with good materials based on my experiences (except for the flimsy cupholders ).

To put it into perspective, let's see the contemporary competitor, the W210.
Quite the opposite with its hard surfaces & buttons, square & angular shapes, etc.
We still own our 96 528i & 01 E430 and I will have to say the two cars actually aged quite well. No major engine or tranmission issues after all these years. Both cars over 110K miles. However, we always got it serviced whenever the OBC said so. Unfortunately, the two cars sit outside everyday so the paint and exterior plastic is weathered.

The two interiors you posted has the 5 series refresh i believe early 2000s and the E Class was not.

Those cupholders though are completely useless...
Appreciate 0