06-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #34
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
it's my understanding that appellate courts are split as to whether the red light ticket sceme complies with teh law (hearsay evidence rule and also right to confront witnesses) . not sure if the appellate court controlling san mateo county has weighed in but you should be careful about assuming payment is "voluntary"
My position is not to assume it's voluntary and simply ignore the fine, but to find out if the OP is required by law to pay the red light camera fine. It seems to vary from county to county in California, but I know for fact that LA county is not required to pay.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar...meras-20120329

The city Police Commission voted this week to end its contract with the company that operated L.A.'s cameras until they were shut off last summer. And authorities are now planning to reassign a small group of officers who regularly appeared in court to testify in contested photo enforcement cases.

After months of debate, the City Council voted in July to shut down the controversial program. Some officials publicly derided the steep red- light camera fines, which often topped $500, as "voluntary" because county courts were not aggressively penalizing those who simply ignored the citations.
Appreciate 0