View Single Post
      03-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #68
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i & Cayenne V6

Finally found a link that allowed me to see the episode. Was really disappointed since he seemed to completely dismiss the M135i because it aquaplaned at 195kph in heavy water…. This is a complete contradiction of all the great things he said about the M135i in his 2012 Sunday Times column (I put up the link in an earlier post). Furthermore, he then proceeds to (greatly) overestimate the strengths of the Golf.

I owned a 2010 Gti with DSG and the optional electronic sports suspension and had two long test drives in the new one last year and I agree whole heartedly with Chris Harris and the vast majority of other journalists who, when putting up the Gti against the M135i and Benz AMG45, agree it is a very good car in many ways but place it a distant third. The additional of a mechanical diff was a major improvement over my 2010 car as was the changes to the steering rack (now 2.2 lock to lock) but there is no other way to put it but that the Gti FEELS substantially underpowered against other super hatches (not at all true of the very exciting but way overpriced Golf R which I test drove 3 weeks ago just before deciding to buy the M135i). Don't get me wrong. The current Gti is a great, well-balanced car and a perfect choice for someone who wants a very practical and safe family car that also is sporty when you want it to be. Its just not even close to being in the same league as the phenomenal Megane Trophy 265, the scrappy Ford Focus ST, the M135i or the AMG45…

Jeremy made a bunch of jokes and humorous quips to trash a fantastic car, the only real RWD hot hatch out there, just to cover up a mistake he made on the track that could have happened to any of us. 195kph in heavy rain and a flooded track is not something any reasonable person would do in ANY car, much less a RWD with wider back tires….
Appreciate 0