Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland's Advocate View Post
What 2013 135i?

Are we talking coupe or hatchback?

On the coupe front, the current version's lifecycle is surely way too far gone to be adding new engines at this stage. The OP was looking at a 135i coupe. Cracking car - I had one and really enjoyed it. Distinctly more car than the 125i version. But at this stage in the production cycle, I imagine residuals will be quite dismal. The new version will be called the 2-series and isn't about to launch imminently.

On the hatch front, BMW already offers the 125i and the M135i, which are a gnat's chuff apart price-wise when you compare like-for-like specs, so I fail to see where or why you could or would insert a normal 135i inbetween them.

Furthermore, why would BMW go to all the trouble of engineering the M135i to take a very well regarded six pot that is used throughout its current range of models if next year it's going to replace it with a new four cylinder? And I would have thought engineering economies of scale dictate that any M235i should use the same engine as the M135i.

And, far be it for me to suggest that, if they are going to change the M135i/M235i to a 4-pot engine, then we'd all better get down to the nearest BMW dealer sharpish and get one of the 6-cylinder versions before it's too late. Because frankly that's the whole point - nothing else in the budget offers the option of such a beefy engine with a manual gearbox, so you overlook the car's shortcomings (mostly aesthetic) for the overall package. But if you're taking the drivetrain out of the equation (ie shoving in some underwhelming 4 pot alternative), I would wait for the new Audi S3 Sportback. Similarly-engined but really much better-looking and more desirable as an object than the rather unfortunate-looking F20. Either that, or fork out considerably more than a 335i.

Maybe I'm spoilt after a succession of tuneful engines (Alfa V6, Mercedes V8, BMW V10 and several BMW straight sixes) but most four cylinder engines just don't quite cut it on the character front. They can get close-ish but it's still no cigar.

Woland's Advocate, why are you on this forum if you dislike the F20. (or in your words 'rather unfortunate-looking' F20).
This forum is for F20 /F21enthusiasts.

I also hate to see the 6 vanish, however just because you think they should keep the 6 is not a valid reason.

I also have had AMG Mercs, BMW 335i and M3, Ferarri 360 Moderna and an Alfa V6 (woeful car) amounst others.
We live in a changing world where smaller, versatile cars with powerful eccomomical engines are becoming the choice of more people. Once upon a time a E Class Merc or 5er were considerd family sedans, now the C Class and 3er are the family cars and most are 4 pots (turbo charged).

I do understand you liking for a 6, however like most companies, BMW has to face every decreasing emission levels to comply to and be able to provide vehicles so they build engines accordingly.
The rumours of a 2.5 litre bi turbo 4 pot begins to make sense if you are to comply to much lower emissions as already evident in the new 4 pot engines used in the 1er , X1 X5 and 3er models.

You only have to see how many hybrids are out there now to understand the goal posts have shifted, like it or not.
Appreciate 0