View Single Post
      10-17-2013, 04:11 AM   #21
Crazyfists
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Sept 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nognohnoh View Post
Hello,

I have the same exact issue with ratteling on my 116i (production july 2012). I also thought it was a heat shield and brought to the BMW dealer in Austria and they said they cannot localize it and its normal. Then I read your post on another topic in this forum and you mentioned that that ratteling noise was diagnosed as a faulty catalytic converter and that it should be replaced on yours. Have you replaced it yet ??
and most importantly was the ratteling still there afterwards?I went to the dealer in Austrtia and told them that BMW South Africa diagnosed it as a defect catalytic connverter on another car with the same issue and therefore they agreed to replace mine today actually, still will pick it up after work!!
Please let me know if the issue on yours was the catalytic converter or the heat shield of the turbo??

cheers,
adam
I have been suffering this rattle now for months, replaced CAT and turbo but absolutely no difference. Dealers reckon its the Actuator however I still remain open to the idea its a heatshield. BMW UK are completely ignorant of the issue despite me references people on here and BABYBMW with the same complaint and quoting there claims of refinement etc.

Has anyone actually got to the 100% of this problem and solved it.

Im tempted to start a thread specifically for this to get an overall view of who is affected, compile responses and send to BMW so they actually acknowledge/admit the problem and do something about it instead of suggestiing its a characteristic.

Just to summarise for all those who misunderstand the issue

1 - Its not the initial start up rattle we are talking about that lasts a few seconds
2 - It is the rattle/clatter clearly heard between roughly 1200 and 1700 rpm, under load, probably more evident on hill starts or pulling away from junctions
3 - Happens in most gears
4 - Is not the golf tee mod as this appears to be linked to 114i, 116i and 118i N13 engines so not related to back boxes of twin pipes

Any help, knowledge etc on this much appreciated
Appreciate 0