View Single Post
      05-10-2013, 03:23 AM   #66
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Maybe it will be.

What i will say is that I've read the same thing written about every generation of Golf GTi since god was a boy. I'm too young to remember what they said about the mk1 but i remember them all fawning over the Mk2 which nearly everyone apart from the VAG fan brigade now admits wasn't as good as the then older 205GTi and the Renault 5 GT turbo in terms of being a drivers car.

The Mk3 won car of the year (my first GTi and one of the least interesting cars i ever owned) in several magazines, as did the Mk4 (so many GTi, V6 and V5 variants of this model, all of which were flawed. The GTi's were especially rubbish). I remember the same publications that had said they were brilliant then using them as examples of how the GTi had lost it's way only a few years later when the Mk5 came out.

The Mk5 did make a massive leap forward (so much so that VW couldn't better it and the Mk6 was the same car with a bit of glitter sprinkled over it). However, at this time the price of a GTi was pretty high and we had 6 cylinder BMW hatchbacks kicking about so it starts to become a questionable choice.

I rarely pay much attention to the opinions of the majority of the motoring press in the same way as I reserve basing judgement on a car based on facts and figures. I've driven cars with impressive stats that have been crap and vice versa. I'm a bit of a believer in the more they add to cars the more they take away from the driver. Yeah they get faster but do they get better? I'll reserve judgement until I drive it and maybe this time it will finally be the Golf I can love....... However, spec'd up it's M135i money for a car that has 125i performance. Keep the spec low and it makes more sense.