View Single Post
      10-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
BMW-RaceR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mini Cooper S, 74 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsteroni View Post
I personally love the idea of a fwd BMW. Why pay extra for the xdrive and lose the fuel economy also.

...And lets be honest with ourselves, how many of us are actually skilled enough to take advantage of rwd?
I don't intend to be rude but.
Seems like you wanted a BMW. Did not want RWD, which BMW is famous for. Bought your car with xdrive. And now sees an improvement in BMW since they offer FWD over xdrive.
That makes so little sense to me..

I think most people have experienced the advantage over many others cars in a BMW.
Smaller turning circle compared to most similar sized AWD or FWD cars. Does not take any skill to take advantage of that.
Generally a better steering feel. That you get the advantage of every time time you drive a car.
No torque steer. No skill needed to take advantage of that.
Better response in an emergency situation due to less understeer. Just turn the wheel fast enough on the car with ESP will sort out the rest.

Some advantages for drivers that like to push the car a little (and still be safe thanks to the great handling of the car, and even more the the modern electronics)
Less understeer in general.
Less understeer when accelerating.
The ability to put down more power, especially in wet conditions when several people are in the car.(FWD gets worse, RWD gets better)
The smile on your face!

For all the people who have driven a go-kart on track. Picture you how much less fun that would have been in a fwd.
I will not even go into the fun one can experience with a good RWD car.

I now drive a FWD "BMW-product", Mini Cooper S. I am aware of several FWD benefits. And if a FWD chassis is set up right it can be good fun. I do think BMW will make the car to be a good handling FWD.
But BMW should be the "ultimate driving machine". The strong BMW brand will be watered down with a FWD.
RWD is the better drivetrain for an "ultimate driving machine". Without a doubt! And BMW was that one automaker of cars without FWD as an option. Because they focus on driving pleasure!

I do hope that the new 1-series sportshatch will make it easier for BMW to earn more money by attracting more people, and having lower productions costs due to fwd. So as long as that will make BMW still focus on RWD drivers cars im good.
3-series will always be RWD. It is like the 911. Something you don't change the recipe for it works. But it have gotten fatter...
Just praying (to the car gods?) that the FWD 1-series will not take the place of the RWD 1-series. If that happens BMW might loose me as a future customer. Because I want a small, nimble and lightweight RWD BMW. And so do many others. There is so many other FWD out there. 1-series is the only small hatcback with RWD. And I don't want to loose that!
But to be honest, I fear that might happen..

(Will probably need to drive my cousins E46 some time in the winter, just to get me "fix" of RWD and that great driving position)
Appreciate 0