08-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #18
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011CrazE89 View Post
I haven’t even thought about buying him his own wheels yet. That’s a whole new set of issues.
At the age of 14 i had a copy of all keys to my parents cars... and took them out regurlally. While they were sleeping, while they were gone for the evening, while they were out of town, etc... I used to take them out and practice 180s on wet roads.

This is a route i wouldn't suggest.

I would do both and add a Teen defensive driving track day. (Usually involves performing emergency lane changes, correcting oversteer, emergency braking, etc...)

When you get a car for him, be sure to register it in his name and make him get his own insurance. It'll be so expensive you'll probably have to supplement him on it, but at least his actions won't cost you any more than what you're giving him for insurance. Having a teen driver on your insurance opens you up to anything he hits and anyone he may injure.

Also, nothing makes a teen boy want to show off more than driving a cool car. A beater is in order.