View Single Post
      07-27-2015, 12:17 AM   #9
AussieSimon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpsalvestrini View Post
I do not believe a word about start/stop enabled cars having reinforced starters and alternators
Either you're saying BMW are willfully lying about their engineering analysis, or that BMW are incompetent and you have a better understanding of the engineering than them. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's a bold assertion.

Quote:
nor do I believe the figures that claim idling cars consume more than start/stop enabled ones.
That sounds like an objectively verifiable thing to test. And a fairly easy thing to test. I thought the main reason was to improve the numbers from standardized fuel consumption tests which in turn affect vehicle taxation in many jurisdictions. Consider: given that the feature does irritate a few people, if it didn't improve objectively measurable real world consumption, why would BMW implement it?

Quote:
I suspect that it is in reality a covert way to introduce programmed obsolescence into automobiles.
Oh, so it's a conspiracy.

Quote:
Any one of them can fail or misread at any time, leading to random occasions where the car's auto start/stop engages even under conditions under which it should not have engaged.
Some of the key sensors involved in the start/stop mechanism are the ones determining apparent road speed, brake pedal depression, transmission position, engine temperature and battery voltage. If any of these sensors failed, premature engagement of start/stop would be the least of your worries. Even if start/stop was nonexistent, any of these sensors failing would render the car dangerous, damaged or undriveable.

Quote:
One morning while driving normally my 2014 BMW 116i, with start/stop engaged, at 20 / 30 kph on my way to work, and while turning the car onto an uphill road, my engine suddenly turned off and the rev went down to READY for about 2 seconds.
Based on your description of events I wouldn't assume the problem is with start/stop. A electrics fault could similarly explain loss of engine and power steering. Start/stop should never engage when the car is in motion. If your car's ECU is under the misapprehension that your car is stationary when in fact it is not, that is a very serious problem and would affect many systems.

Quote:
but I know what I experienced and I do not intend to
...finish your
Appreciate 0