View Single Post
      07-25-2015, 12:15 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpsalvestrini View Post
I'm considering to start a petition to have all BMWs featuring auto start/stop technology to be programmed to remember the last setting chosen by the driver.
I would also add remembering the last driving mode (Sport+ for me), if possible.

Seriously, there was some movement already (reported unofficially): BMW Allows Dealers to Deactivate Auto Start-Stop Ignition. Where is that now? And some discussion here too: Auto Stop/Start memory function (software update).

The function is well-known obviously ineffective, the purpose for it is some trade-off to make the car more affordable and better performing(?). It's a political, not a technical matter. If they don't enable it initially, nobody will ever do that manually, so it would be cancelling in fact.

Quote:
I just want to drive *my* car the way *I* want it
I just want to live my life the way I want it, but there are circumstances I have to rather comply with. Even if you make the President or the King you'll find out you can't act exactly at your will: there's always a compromise in fact. In some countries there's nothing to breathe with already . Others sit by the ocean and appreciate that enough to fight for the air to keep it clean .

I appreciate that they allow to disable the function manually (they could withdraw that, just incidentally). It's not too much a burden to press another button. Or two. I just hope they won't have to introduce a piano keyboard to perform a regular start-up drill at some point (the ///M cars are reported to have quite many settings to play with):

Quote:
If automakers were really serious about reducing gas consumption and CO2 emissions, they would be pushing more plug-in hybrids and 100% electric cars
They do, don't they? It's just a long way to go before those become really acceptable. And it's not automakers themselves, it's the politicians that make them care and invest and suggest compromises. Automakers are on your side: they don't want to invest into anything other than what sells their product. But the governments have a "wider" view and put regulations.

The Porsche 918 is an amazing car according to the Top Gear:

I just can't afford it anyhow. Can you?

Quote:
I'm going to share my personal experience, if I may: One morning while driving normally my 2014 BMW 116i, with start/stop engaged, at 20 / 30 kph on my way to work, and while turning the car onto an uphill road, my engine suddenly turned off and the rev went down to READY for about 2 seconds.
If you did not shut the engine yourself (automatic gearbox?) you should report that to the service and get them check if everything's all right there.

Quote:
The steering wheel of course locked
I'm under impression it only locks when I turn off the ignition (I can hear it engaged, I presume).

Quote:
I missed hitting an oncoming car by a margin of distance that is measured in centimeters (or inches for our friends on the other side of the pond).

Appreciate 0