12-18-2015, 06:05 AM   #9
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishy View Post
Elaborate please. References if you can. Never heard or read anything to this affect, and doesn't seem true or correct.

The manual states you must not do repeated launches and need to wait a certain amount of time before repeating a launch, to let temps cool down to norm. Due to the stresses and strains on the gearbox, extra heat generated etc.

Basically, all launch control is, is the engine limiting engine RPM to 2000, and the brake on the wheels wheels stopping the gearbox from moving through the drive train. The result is constant slip on the torque converter unless I am mistaken. It's really not good for the oil in the gearbox, and you must not hold the car on the launch for more than x amount of seconds (is it 5 seconds or 10 or something).

Cheers,
I've been researching the BMW data, specifically it's launch control feature. To clear up some confusion
The launch control, we are discussing just holds back the transfer of power by over powering the torque converter using the brakes (this can be done in any automatic). They call this launch control because the car is limited to around 2000 rpm, similar to that of a manual clutch release

BMW OBC records the number of attempts made and the time lapsed between attempts.
BMWs reckoning is that 'Launch control' should only be performed once, with time and distance between attempts. If a LC was performed 3 or more times in succession, it could put undue ware on 'components' which then could void or negate the warranty claim if the use of the launch control was deemed excessive and lead to a failure of a component. It would not void the cars general warrantee or duration - only that claim.
Appreciate 0