10-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #18
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
Lol I know, I know about it's about the drowsiness stuff. I didn't know BMW had the collision prevention option on the F20. That is really interesting.. I also agree with the price of the options on the A-class compared to all BMWs. It's dirt cheap. For example, leather on a B-class is like R1000. Don't ask why I know that..

Gosh, I can't imagine spending 100K on options alone! Sheesh, that's steep. I would've went with a M135i, but the fun is in the options anyway. I also didn't know that the A250 had such generous spec as standard. It now seems even more appealing.

I absolutely love the minimalist approach of the A3 interior and I'm one of those raving people lol. It is definitely the best iteration of Audi interiors. I personally can't stand their previous generation interiors on the current A4, A5 etc. It looks very dated and the auto shifter gets in the way of the climate control buttons.. The pop-up screen is a novelty, sure, but it is quite cool that it folds away when the car switches off and pops up when it's on. I don't think you can retract it while driving, so it just adds some more sophistication to an already sophisticated interior.

The A3 also has incredible spec for its price and again, full LEDs on a hatchback is impressive and standard xenons too. Those diamond-quilted sport seats are also gorgeous. It's a pity BMW does not offer said options. Xenons are not even standard on the M135i!!
I never really understood Audi's performance designation on its cars - Quad exhausts for 'S models and dual exhausts for 'RS'. It should surely be the other way around?! 4 tips on an A3 does certainly seem out of place!

I'm not familiar with any sort of navigation systems, as I've never spec'd it out on my cars. Maybe next time, just for the touch control iDrive lol.

Don't you think that the M135i is worthy of its price tag? It's literally a performance bargain, but I understand you when you don't want to spend upwards of 500K on a 1 series. It does sound odd... I don't think that the A45 AMG should command 600K for a standard car though too..I can understand the CLA45 being 674K though..Btw, if you think 500K on a hatch is bad, try 800K for the A45 AMG edition 1 ..I saw a few on autotrader..

Just as a side note, MB are currently offering the A200 black devil' edition at a cost of 16K extra. I have to say that it is uh..unique. Go check it out at MB SA's website.
My F21 125i started off at a reasonable R330k. Pretty much the cheapest Way to get that amount of power and a decent badge. But the standard spec is pathetic.

Then came the M sport pack (and another R7k for the 18" wheels which you gotta have, ouch). Xenons, sunroof, front and rear pdc (pays for itself if you ever knock the front) H/K sound, navigation, extended Bluetooth (I must be the only person I know who actually has a cradle for my iphone to charge it and use the cars phone aerial, plus give me a place to store it out of sight, the joys of jhb) and of course bypassing the need the for the infamous Y cable and give my H/K a chance by receiving digital signal from the iPod.

Then bits and pieces, the comfort pack with climate control, auto dimming mirror and extended lights pack.

And lastly the sports auto box. Problem is I came from a GTI which had so much of that standard, even more, like heated seats! And before I knew it I was at R450k before discount. Nothing there is excessive I don't think, sure some nice-to-haves but the GTI had spoiled me in that regard.

And trust me there are many more toys left on the price list I don't have! In fact my car has the alcantara interior which I love, instead of leather (from choice not budget, owned so many cars with black leather that is the only sensible colour to get on an EB car that I'm bored of it)

Spitting distance from a M135i, modestly specc'd. So the M135i is a performance bargin if you spec it lightly, although a lot of the stuff I added is already standard on that.

But you take the lower fuel consumption and insurance of the 125i, the slightly lower appetite for rear tyres and I'm not much of a robot racer and drag strip king, and hardly get to use all of my mere 160kw, let alone if I had 240kw! So I'm happy with my choice, I enjoy the toys more than the power as I spend most of my driving in traffic.

Take an M135i to the same spec level and you paying bang on the same money as a 328i m sport with the same toys. Actually went into the dealer to order a 328i and saw an 1 in EB M sport and fell in love with it. One last hatch before I turn 30 and buy a grown up car

Don't get me wrong when I do see an M135i I'm prone to a bit of doubt. But I also remember it takes a trained eye to tell the difference between that and a 118i M sport!

Funnily enough I saw in a CLA at the show and at a very average 5'10" my head was digging into the rear roof lining when I sat in the back. They should have just made it a sexy coupe if its that compromised in the back. Plus merc dealers, and I went to a few, have major attitude if you want to buy an A class, because of the demand.

No way am I gonna beg a dealer to sell me a car and let's see how the attitude changes when the hype wears down and it becomes just another hatch fighting for a place in a crowded segment.

Btw don't forget those diamond quilted seats on the S3 are an extra R20k, and LED headlights are R20k on anything other than an S3.

When my parents were buying their bmws in the 80's/early 90's the only question was if you wanted a sunroof. How times have changed!
Appreciate 0