View Single Post
      12-16-2012, 03:38 AM   #11
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendDriver View Post
Torque converter gearbox on a 320hp hot hatch sounded odd not long ago.

If I am not mistaken, the manual on M135i is a new Getrag dry sump box, so I hope it will be better than the one on 328 the guy in the article was talking about.

Also, would that be turbo lag instead of poor throttle response that the guy was experiencing? And I don't buy his idea that torque converter will make the situation better. It only makes you feel that the slowness is due to the torque converter, and forgive the throttle/turbo lag.
The zf box is described as having "Agressive torque convertor lockup" by ZF. It has a torsional torque damper system on the lockup clutch. With 8 ratios 1st is over very quickly and the box can lockup once it's in 2nd.
It feels more like a dual clutch to drive as once moving it's in higher gears and locked up. There is no increasing revs without an increase in speed.
Too be honest with maximum torque available from 1250rpm and with the use of twin scroll turbo, lag isn't a major issue. Certainly nothing like what you get with a Subaru STi or a Mitsubishi Evo.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0