12-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #22
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
5er Gran Turismo has actually performed quite well with Worldwide sales of over 20,000 units.

In the US Market the car has a combined unit sales of the same amount of E61 5er Tourings for 3 years and that is just with the Gran Turismo just landing in the later part of 2009.

That is easy to say on paper but when it comes to real life and actual sales the X5 diesel is a success the 335d is not.

When asked why , they dont associate a diesel with BMW , a Premium brand.
BMW have only one diesel converted to accomodate US fuel and will produce a four cylinder diesel in the near future but expect these only on the X3 (six) and X1(four).
BMW are not VW , BMW customers in the US see BMW as a more select premium brand that delivers on the worlds best driving sedans. And are unaware of the vast choice of models available in Europe.
I know exactly what you mean on the diesel and the proliferation of various BMW models in other markets. I just returned from a trip to Argentina and it was amazing to see a huge proportion of the BMW models as diesels, not to mention the VWs; for example, a brand new VW pick up truck (Amarok, I think) built by VW Commercial Vehicles, all as TDis. One of the premium manufacturers needs to aggressively lead the charge on selling the virtues of diesel to the market though. BMW is nicely placed to take the plunge as it has very strong performers in its diesel line, the prime example being that 35d with 265hp and 425lb ft torque. Hard to beat. I suspect the motivation in other markets is how prohibitively expensive fuel is. It is still comparably cheap in the US.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0