04-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

The thing about a black car

There are many issues with a black car that you shouldn't ignore
1. With the roads in the UK at least 4 out of 5 drives will result in your car looking dirty....as a consequence it looks dirty most of the time.
2. Unlike other colour cars black also highlights pollen, so even when the weather is nice and dry, it still looks dusty and less than pristine
3. Black will not tolerate anything other than expert treatment. Use a simple bucket and sponge and it'll instantly show a multitude of swirl marks. That's not to say that other colours aren't damaged by poor washing techniques, but most colours don't highlight the defects the way black does.
4. Even when it comes to polishing black is a bitch. Apply a little too much polish or leave it to cure a bit too long and you'll really struggle to get a nice shiny, even finish.
5. Every joint in the bodywork will show up excess polish or polish 'dust' unless you spend ages trying to remove it with the edge of your microfiber towel.
6. Stone chips? Yep, you'll see every one

I owned an immaculate low mileage black Z4M which I loved when it stood on the driveway sparkling in the sun after a couple of hours of intense washing and polishing... the nice thing about it was it spent most of its time tucked up in the garage, but I'm guessing I washed it close to the same number of times I drove it.

Last edited by SteveC; 04-25-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0