11-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #22
GoHokiesGo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_E View Post
Thank you to everyone who has helped me! I'm going to go with the nikon d7200, only thing is what lens would you guys suggest for car shows and photo shoots. Thinking of going with the Nikon 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6 VR that it can come with, or going with the body only and getting a prime lens. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
If you're just starting out, I'd recommend getting that zoom to give you some versatility. You'll build your lens collection over time as you learn and figure out what focal ranges will benefit your shooting style the most; however, usually a 50mm or 35mm is a standard prime that you can get for cheap (Canon's 50/1.8 is like $100 new, I'd assume Nikon has an equivalent), so I'd probably pick out one of each- the zoom and cheap prime- to start learning with.

Definitely take the time to learn your camera and lenses. After a few times shooting, look over your photos and find what focal length is your most used to upgrade lenses. You may find that your always at the long end of your zoom for compression, or more on the wide end to get those distorted up close images; after some time go out and buy a prime or higher quality zoom in the range you're using the most. Make friends with someone that also shoots Nikon and borrow lenses from each other; a few buddies started shooting around the same time as me, and we used to borrow and compare lenses all the time as an easy way to experiment.

JP Photography - Travel/Landscape/Automotive Photography
Appreciate 0