01-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #52
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Maybe not so much inferior as different. I tend to like lively handling with plenty of oversteer action, and I hate understeer. RWD is definitely the way to go for me, but I would not recommend it to everybody. AWD has its advantages.
Although we say the same, I guess we don't at the same time...

The understeer behaviour of a car is less AWD/RWD traction influenced than the suspension geometry and vehicle architecture in general. The RS3 is slaughtered by Chris Harris in comparision with the RWD M135i but not because it is a quattro but rather because the center of gravity is positioned too much to the front of the car and the setup of geometry prefers understeer. I guess when you check the video again, you'll see the RS3 going wide before apex, the moment that Chris is braking, putting ZERO traction on the front, this is the evidence you need to eliminate directing torque to the front as being the culprit for lousy steer-in behaviour.

Well, I'am pretty certain that the xDrive M135i exhibits very comparable dynamical behaviour to the RWD M135i and demonstrates comparable test results even with AWD and the compromis between lateral and transversal etc...

One point I follow, for overpowered powerslides, the RWD is king since a dot of power before apex will make the car tail happy, while the xDrive will just go a bit understeered during identical circumstances. But frankly, is this the way you drive in reality or rather in your dreams? When you power before apex, it's usually for the spectacle and the thrill you can face death once again on simple demand in your RWD. It never is for the speed nor lap times.

In my case, I've to admit it is a dream, but not the reality. In reality I drive in traffic jams, waiting before a slow vehicle at the stop light, passing a school with an idiotic low speel limit, when I can have a go chances are high it's raining or the stretch is just a few hundred yards in length..etc. etc...that is my pitty full reality.

Well, probably the only way out of this discussion is we buy both of them and meet on Francorchamps or the NordSchleiffe and have some fun during the finding out...
Appreciate 0