01-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #48
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
The second phase after APEX, you want to pick up speed while "opening" up the turn and gradually reduce steering angle. Here the AWD will send torque to the front tires, and by consequence have a higher tendency to understeer. Because of the mechanism you describe, the max attainable transversal grip is smaller, but in this phase the max is rather never exploited, or you have done something wrong and need to recover. On top, a higher tendency to understeer is not felt as a joy killer in the second half of the turn since the car is already anticipating on reducing steering angle via the accelerator even before you actually steer out.
Yes, that is what I mean by AWD having to open the line more when going back on the throttle out of corners. This suits low speed corners. In a long sweeper and high speed corners, you want to maintain a high cornering speed, and you don't accelerate so hard. Usually you don't even have all that much torque left at the driven wheels at higher speeds, so full throttle is not enough to unsettle the car with RWD. (F=P/V)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
I believe that this is what intelligent AWD systems tend to do: before apex, don't engage Front wheels to avoid understeer in this critical phase and don't compromise max attainable transversal grip, after apex, engage the Front wheels to help straightening the car and max acceleration.
Yes, the best approach would be to stay 100 percent RWD until the rear wheels approach the limit, and then start feeding additional power to the front. Then you would get the best of both worlds. Unfortunately most AWD systems send 40-50 percent of the power to the front right from the start.
Appreciate 0