04-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #75
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Just to be clear, what you've said about xDrive not having EPS doesn't hold true for the F30 (and likely F20) which will be the first xDrive models that have EPS. Personally, I doubt BMW will switch to a hydraulic rack just for the M Performance models as sales are likely too low to justify the expenses. And yes, the next M3 might have EPS too.

Best regards,
south
The diesel M Performance cars that have already been announced (M550d, etc.) have already switched to hydraulic power steering, and I hope they continue this with the rest of the M Performance cars. Hydraulic steering is something I consider a must-have at this point. Maybe in a few years the EPS systems will be good enough, but right now they aren't quite there. The hydraulic steering in my 135i is easily my favorite thing about it. I drove ~300 miles in our F10 this weekend and just now went for a drive in my 135i, obviously there are many differences between the cars but that steering really makes a difference.

To the people complaining about body roll, I'm glad the suspension is compliant. I don't know if you have lots of smooth roads where you live, but in my area all of the fun roads are very poorly paved and cars without a lot of suspension compliance are practically useless.
Appreciate 0