07-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #259
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
I don't recall any posts on here regarding squealing OEM pads, it's possible they have been glazed slightly. Try not to be too heavy on them for a while and they should wear back in, the light scoring on the discs is nothing to worry about they don't need replacing until you can feel a distinct lip on the outer edge. Depending on driving style a set of discs should last 50k to 60k kilometers before needing replacement.

If they don't stop squeaking then it won't hurt to pop into the dealer, they may clean out the brakes or put some anti squeal compound or shims behind the pads to stop it happening.

To help out your pads make sure after braking to a stop you get off the footbrake and apply the handbrake. Not doing this keeps the pads in contact with the discs and creates a hotspot which can lead to warping of the disc and glazing of the pads.

Hope that helps.
Thanks again Bob, I really appreciate it and I will follow your instructions!

I have done only nearly 6k km and the car computer says that I will have to change the front pads in36k km and the rear pads in 38k km. Is this normal? I don't think that I've been too harsh with my car... Unless it has to do with the sensors.

Here is the post I was referring to (I have exactly the same symptom described as a 'high pitch squeal'): http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697365
Appreciate 0