View Single Post
      07-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
A fast lap is done by sticking to a good line and driving consistently on the limit.

But what is a good line? You will of course have to use the width of the track to the maximum. Any space you leave between you and the edge of the track is lost speed. You also have to decide which corners should be dealt with by driving early or late apex.

In general, you can look at the time spent on full throttle. The longer this time is on a track section, the later apex you need in the corner preceding it, to optimize the exit speed. Keep the vehicle tidy at the exit, and avoid sliding. Focus on being early on the throttle.

In a corner that connects a high speed section with a low speed section, you need to bleed off the speed as late as possible. This means an early apex entry and trail braking. Sliding the vehicle is an option here if you have the necessary car control.

In gokarts, weight control is rather important. While braking, you should lean back as far as possible. Since there is no differential in the back, you want to unload the inside rear tire by leaning outwards a bit in the corners. It is quite common to go around corners on three wheels.

In general, if you have low power and lots of grip, you want to carry lots of speed through the corners with a rather early apex, and sling out of the corner. With lots of power and low grip, you want to brake more, enter slowly, drive a late apex and focus on acceleration out of the corners.

Some tires work best with very little slip, so you have to avoid sliding. Other tire types generate the maximum grip while sliding quite a bit, so you need to be more aggressive.

I agree with this, and with the need to keep revs up in go-karts. Just one modification: the fastest way between two points is always a straight line, so you need to think of the track as a series of straight lines, and look at the track map with that in mind. Then, yes , how to keep the kart in its power band as you negotiate that map, ie, off braking and turning, and back on power. Sooo easy to say! The answer is, of course, practice!
Appreciate 0