View Single Post
      10-19-2021, 01:46 PM   #13
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaS View Post
Just bought an F20 116d. Driver side mirror adjustment works fine. Passenger side mirror adjustment doesn’t work at all. However, passenger side mirror tilts down when reverse is engaged. The driver door mirror switch is fine as I tested it with multimeter. Wiring seems fine too.

Previous owner had replaced driver side mirror after accident. I suspect they installed the wrong mirror on driver side.
I took the cap off from both and they both look different inside.

Driver side has no module on the back of the motor. The mirror glass has only two black wires for heating. See two pictures below-
Attachment 2723396
Attachment 2723397

Passenger side mirror has a black module on the back of the motor. The mirror glass has an extra wire connector (white). See two pictures below-
Attachment 2723398
Attachment 2723399

Can someone please explain what’s wrong here?
Should I change the driver side mirror? If yes, which mirror do I need exactly?
The driver side mirror is heated only. The passenger side mirror is heated + auto-dimming. Be very careful with the auto-dimming mirror connection as you can burn the glass permanently black, unusable (reportedly).

If you choose to change your driver side mirror for auto-dimming double check you really have the function supported as the parts are much more expensive than what you have. You can find part numbers here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select. Well, it calls the mirror glass "auto dip", but it must be a spelling mistake (especially for my LHD left/driver's one)!

Regarding adjustment, it looks like the signal from the switch doesn't reach the destination while the reverse tilting signal comes from a different source (the gearbox?), apparently.
Appreciate 0