View Single Post
      01-05-2020, 05:16 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I care, and I would easily have read 10x more about the subject. Several friends of mine have tested Zimmerman drilled discs, and they all got some small cracks eventually. The question is if it matters or not. As long as the car is not used for track driving, I think the probability for disc failure is very close to zero, even with small cracks.

The holes have a gradient, but as they wear down, this gradient will disappear, and then they will crack very easily.

I doubt that it would take much more than one revolution (less than 2 meters) of braking to clear the water off the discs in the wet. Coming from the west coast of Norway, I have done a fair share of driving in very wet conditions, both on roads and tracks. I have always had quick brake bite in the rain, even with solid discs.

If the brakes seem sluggish at first, it could also be knock-back. If you drive for a while without touching the brake pedal, the pads could be pushed a bit back from the discs, so you need significantly more pedal travel to apply the brakes again. The automatic wet maintenance braking helps against this too. Some racing drivers make a quick dab on the brake pedal with the left foot after straights, to make the brakes ready.

The way I see it, holes, grooves or dimples in the discs have two purposes. One is to save weight, and the other is to keep the pads clean. I have noticed that my overcooked brake pads take longer to recover with solid discs after a track weekend. The outer layer of the pads gets soft and slippery, and needs to be worn off before the brake pedal feel is back to normal.
Appreciate 0