View Single Post
      11-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #18
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Not a fan of this guy, but I've been dying for this comparo to happen.

I can't fault them for giving the Mustang the 'W'. It performed as good if not better than the Z at everything while being the easier, friendlier car to drive.

That said, I would hardly call the Z/28's steering 'numb'. I'm lucky enough to have gotten to drive one hard a few times, and the steering was sublime. Did it have first-rate feel? No, but in today's world of EPS systems, it's as good as I've come across. And despite the poor outward visibility and cheap interior, the car is easy enough to drive. You could put a set of SS 20's and Pilot SS's on it for daily use and regularly drive the thing just fine.

Truth is, the Shelby should have won this comparo. It's the latest and greatest, going up against a car that's being phased out. The new base SS is already dangerously close to the GT350, and the Z WILL have a successor. But at this point, even a 1LE may have the Mustang's number. Also, in the real world, the R is going to have 10K markups, and leftover Z/28's can be bought for low 50's. For that kind of money, I'll take the Camaro all day. The Shelby may be better, but I promise you it's not 25 grand better.
Appreciate 0