View Single Post
      12-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #71
RMech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vervain View Post
Hey. As you can see from my first post, I had this dilemma over a year ago, but ended up only buying the new A3 three months ago!

I got the 1.4 tfsi s-tronic. While it is slower than even the 116i, the s-tronic gearbox makes it feel must faster than it is. I love the gearbox.

What got me to buy the A3 over the 1 series was the overall quality feeling I got from the car in base form. The interior seems like it belongs in a much more expensive car, not only visually but in a tangible sense too. I didn't get that from the 1 series.

The exterior is also breathtaking (to me at least) as I really fell in love with the 2door coupe with the panoramic roof and xenons. I additionally got the dealer to paint the wheels gloss black and I bought the chrome tips for the exhaust, which all gives it a striking appearance on the road. I get compliments all the time.

I feel I got more car for the money than if I went with the 1 series. I'm really happy with the driving experience too. It's super economical and can really be fun when you push it.
Hi Vervain,

Thank that is really interesting. My partner is currently considering a Golf, Polo or A1. I must admit that the bmw is a bit spartan by comparison, but I just felt it was the car for me (more of an emotional choice than anything). Everyone says that the A3 is better finished and it sounds like you got a lot of bang for your buck. The trouble with using these forums to evaluate cars, is that it becomes all about performance on paper, and we get everything out of balance. It was only when I stated driving my car, that I realised how important some of the functional extras are for example streaming spotify from my phone using bluetooth and hoe crap the standard lights are on my 1 series (bloody terrible ha ha).

The s-tronic gearbox sounds really cool, what is so good about it? Does it have flappy paddles?

I'm very impressed with my auto box because I can only drive automatics, and for the first time I don't seem to be at a disadvantage for it. I even have more gears than the manual ha ha.
Appreciate 0