08-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
The second part of your post is encouraging though, so if you're smooth enough, it might not trouble you too much.
My experience is that the tire choice is rather important as well. Those who prefer to drive the car as it was on rails, should go for sticky tires with good steering response. That means rather wide low profile tires with large and stable tread blocks (preferably R-compounds). With such a setup, you are not likely to slide much, and the driving aids will not interfere until you get in trouble.

For those (like me) who prefer to do their own car control, and slide the car around a bit, it is better to go for narrower high profile tires with more flexible tread. That enables a smooth and predictable breakaway. The DTC/DSC does however not like that kind of driving, and will frequently correct you. Those tires will provide their best grip at quite large slip angles, and they will not be allowed, at least not for long. Fortunately we have DSC Off.

The Toyota GT86 is an example of a car set up from the factory with the latter kind of tires, the same type used on the Prius. That makes it safe and easy to drift without driving aids enabled. It also makes the car slower and more fun to drive.
Appreciate 0