My experience at 100 miles
We have just done a 100 miles in the new F20 but I am already enjoying driving this car more than I ever did the E87 we retired. I am not saying my regular F07 or the Maser are being left idle just yet. But this is an incredibly competent model. I am sure all of you feel the same way so we made a good choice!
There are the 3 things i am not so impressed with:
1. Ergonomics of the dashboard display: the bottom line of the OBC info display is completely obscured by the top of the steering column in most steering positions. The Black-Panel Dashboard option on the F20 - which is not half as good as the F01/F07/F12/F13 versions - may be a bit better.
2. The standard internal lights are poor. The ambient lighting that comes with the extended lighting package should be standard - I am going to try and look for a retrofit atleast for the front!
3. The servotronic power steering is over-assisted at low speed and I had a few confused seconds a few times when the steering didn't seem to correspond with the actual wheels! It needs to be weighted a bit, keep it a bit more natural.
The car has crystallised for me that:
1. You definitely want to tick the VISIBILITY PACK option: brighter, clearer vision and a good cornering function, plus makes the car look infinitely better
2. The DRIVER COMFORT PACK adds cruise control and servotronic power steering, surprising how both add so much to the premium feel and driving characteristics (and partly why I love this car more than ever!)
3. BMW ECOPRO is more than marketing spin; impressed how the full raft of efficiency measures adds miles when the relaxed driving style is appropriate, especially in town driving. Not recommended on A-roads and motorways though.
4. The additional rear legroom and bootspace makes this car more practical and usable.