Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
Heres the story:

Last weekend, my girlfriend and I were leaving dinner and on our way home. She turned onto the freeway and crossed over 3 lanes, almost causing an accident (women drivers right )

Anyways - a cop sees the whole thing happen and pulls us over. The car smelled heavily of herbal essence (the green kind) and the officer immediately pulled her out of the vehicle. They then came to me and asked where it was. I played stupid for about 5 minutes. Then when they threatened to bring in the K-9's, being the honest dummy that I am, I opened the glove-box and lo behold there was 2 bags of herbal essence and a few pipes. They go on to search my girlfriend and myself. Then they asked whose it was and I took responsibility and said it was mine. She is a med student with lofty goals and I did not want both of our futures to be ruined. After that, the cuffed me and took me to jail where I spent the rest of my Saturday night.

Now I'm here at work and am on the verge of tears (go ahead call me a puss I don't care). my life was going so good. I just graduated, have a good job, was looking for a better one, or even a promotion at my current company. Now with this charge on my record my options have decreased drastically. I don't know if I should just keep quiet and stick around for another year (or possibly more) while this unfolds, or continue my life as if nothing happened and deal with this issue as it progresses.

As for legal options - Texas has pretty harsh laws in this matter and I'm probably going to end up on some sort of probation, or if I'm lucky a pre-trial diversion. My lawyer, who is a good friend of mine, is pretty connected in Harris county, but unfortunately I was processed in Montgomery county, with which he has no connections. Should I still hire him for this case? Or look for someone else that maybe has more experience in the county I am being tried in?

I know this may or may not be the best place for this but surely there are successful people on this forum (as many of you drive very expensive cars) that have gone through a similar predicament. Or maybe you are a lawyer or a police officer that has some good advice for me. I am 25 years old and have a lot of life to live. I do not want this going on my record, but I feel like a year on probation will be very hard for me to accommodate with my job.

What should I do?
For starters, don't break the law. Not trying to be a jerk, but we all know the consequences of what we do. If you're not willing to accept them, don't break the law. Sorry you got busted, that sucks.

In the mean time, it's better to get someone who is more experienced in the county you're charged. I took my super connected traffic lawyer from my home county to the adjacent county and that didn't work out so well. It's way more "who you know" than what you know when you're in the court room.