View Single Post
      01-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #83

Drives: BMW M3 E92 LCI

Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

Not sure if this applies to all markets or just US or North America. Also, of course, this is just rumor for now.

The 400+hp I5 TFSI is likely to stay a prototype IMHO, or at the most it will be used only in a high end vehicle such as a production version of the Quattro concept.

I think the I4 2.0 TFSI is very capable of 300hp+ with some R&D. Will VAG go this route? I don't know.
OK - regarding the NA I5 it makes obviously sense for VAG to switch to a FI I4. This is general downsizing...
But for the FI I5? What will Audi tell its customers of an TT-RS+ when they switch to the successor? Will FI-technology in 3-4 years be that sophisticated to pump out 380hp+ from a 2.2/2.3 liter I4 without being laggy/bad responsive as hell?

Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
As far as I know, there is nothing nearly that firm known about the six cylinder turbocharged M engine yet. There is a lot of speculation, yes, and I tend to agree that it will be something like what you describe. But we don't know.

As for the four cylinder turbocharged M engine, there is a little more room to play with displacement from what I know about the block. So, it could be 2.2L, or perhaps even a little more. That could yield 330hp to 350hp which would be just about right.
OK - if there is room for changed bore/stroke like you expect... then we would end up at something like 155hp/l - this is a value I can trust in ....
Nevertheless it is technically a huge effort/challenge for the M to develop such an engine which will obviously be compared with the current N54 3 liter Bi-Turbo, which produces the same power with ease...
Do they expect such high sales volume for the M2, that this development pays back?